Re: for the "love of HURD"

From: Daniel Martin
Subject: Re: for the "love of HURD"
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 18:04:04 +0000

You seem to misunderstand a few things.

First of all read [1] & [2] to teach yourself the difference between
copyleft and free software.

Secondly the Hurd already exists, and works. I suggest you download ams'
latest snapshot of GNU[3] and have a play.

On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 19:19 +0530, arnuld wrote:
> > Study, work on existing projects,
>
> recommend some.  untill now, nobody recommended me "GNU Mach/HURD".
> most of the time i got suggestions for MINIX & L4.

As I suggested in a previous email, working on GNU Mach might be good
for you and maybe even good for Mach.

> > But please,
> > don't ask others to do what you want if you don't know what you're talking
> > about enough to make such suggestions.
>
> i am *not* asking others to do what *I* want. HURD is not my baby, it
> belongs to RMS. i am just a small man. to put it short, i was asking
> to complete phase-1, that you mentioned in the beginning of email (
> but i said that indirectly)

No, the Hurd doesn't belong to RMS. Just as GNU doesn't belong to RMS.
Like all free software if it belongs to anyone it belongs to it's users.
But then software is just mathematics, it's not property, so how can it
belong to anyone?

Regards,

Daniel.

 [1] http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html