Re: for the "love of HURD"

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: for the "love of HURD"
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 13:21:20 -0500

On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 18:04 +0000, Daniel Martin wrote:

> No, the Hurd doesn't belong to RMS. Just as GNU doesn't belong to RMS.

FSF requires an assignment agreement for all contributions to FSF
projects. As I understand it, the Hurd is an FSF project. If so, the
Hurd belongs to FSF. This is a legal statement, not a philosophical
statement.

> Like all free software if it belongs to anyone it belongs to it's users.
> But then software is just mathematics, it's not property, so how can it
> belong to anyone?

Spoken like someone who has absolutely no idea how intellectual property
works in the law.