Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Gitlab and Gitorious (was Re: support me)

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Gitlab and Gitorious (was Re: support me)
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2015 10:58:44 -0700

I've been suggesting for a long time that the ideal vision we should at
least have rhetorically (not practically) is the abolition of copyright
and patent laws combined with mandatory source-release for published
works and prohibition of DRM.

On 03/08/2015 10:55 AM, James Dabgotra wrote:
> I think what was being suggested is copyleft encourages developers to forgo
> their "right" to put software under a proprietary license. But copyleft isn't
> mandatory. Besides, that "freedom" to put it under that license is the
> freedom
> to potentially exercise power over others. Vis-a-vis JS Mill, you should be
> free to do whatever you want if it does not hinder the well-being and freedom
> of others. But copyright is often meant to do that -- its you being free to
> exercise power over others. Given that, an argument can be made that making
> copyleft mandatory and outlawing proprietary software (paternalistically)
> could maximize freedom.
>
> On Sunday, March 08, 2015 12:01:30 AM Giuseppe Molica wrote:
>>> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
>>> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]