Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Why contains in nonfree that's not ethical?

From: Will Hill
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Why contains in nonfree that's not ethical?
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 19:49:00 -0500

The idea is for the efforts to have tangible rewards.  It's easier than you
think it is, even if you are forced to use non free software at work.

There is big demand for it.  Gluglug experience overwhelming orders for the
first Respects Your Freedom certified computer.  You can see similar demand
for platforms that were perceived as more free than Windows, such as netbooks
and Walmart's short lived gnu/linux desktops.  Commercial demand for
GNU/Linux has generally been limited by coercion.

I do not recommend dual booting under any circumstance.  Microsoft will wipe
your bootloader.  If you must use Windows, you should probably use Windows
for the one or two tasks that are forced on you and your free software device
for everything else, especially communications.

If you communicate with free software, you will use free software all day.  If
you use free software, you will teach others how to do it.

If you must use Windows and don't have room for a second set of monitors and
key boards, the free software world is full of software that will make better
use of Windows than Microsoft does.  I've written a few articles about how to
do that.  A couple of places that work comes together is my not quite
finished celebration of Thinkpads,

http://50.80.140.55/photo_album/chron/desktop/thinkpad/thinkpads.html

especially,
http://50.80.140.55/photo_album/chron/desktop/thinkpad/x61s.html