Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Fight Trademark with Libremark

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Fight Trademark with Libremark
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 09:57:57 -0400

Trademark use can already have a good policy such as:

https://www.debian.org/trademark

I think that if someone made a product called "GNU code-host" and it
violated the principles of the GNU project, there would be complaints.

Anyway, Gitorious and GitLab and GitHub all went through the process of
getting approved to use the trademark. "GIT is a trademark of Software
Freedom Conservancy and Gitorious' use of "GIT" is under license." I did
not see similar prominantly placed at the other sites, but I know they
have permission.

I hope and think that you will get permission to continue using the name
GitBull anyway.

Anyway, I don't object to the concept of LibreMark, I just doubt you
learned a lot about the issues and talked to other people. I don't like
quick making new definitions like that because I worry about
fragmentation. I don't want to see 6 competing versions of some sort of
"ethical type of trademark". I would rather we all collaborate to have
one good recognized LibreMark thing… but I don't know what already
exists… this seems an important discussion to figure out. If there's to
be a LibreMark, I want it widely accepted by the community and not to
see a bunch of other attempts all slightly different from each other.

Cheers,
Aaron