Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Gratis software being released as proprietary

From: Pen-Yuan Hsing
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Gratis software being released as proprietary
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 22:52:32 +0200

Thanks for your responses last week.

I have met with the scientists I mentioned, the good news is that they were
intrigued by the potential of Freeing their software tool and "open sourcing"
it. They would "like to consider this", and want to meet with me again
(virtually) about this as soon as some time next week!

However, talking to them makes it apparent that they (and other scientists
presenting other work at the conference) have close to zero conception of open
source software, let alone Free Software ("Whaa? Our software is already free!!
We don't charge anything, isn't it great?" even after I explained that it is
about freedom). While I tried to emphasise the importance of the four freedoms,
what really got them interested was (1) getting the community to help with
development so they won't have to deal with a massive todo list of wishlisted
features on their own, and (2) that as scientists the software should be open
to peer review just like any other method.

The scientists in question were not software developers, so they actually
outsourced some of the development to a professional. Unfortunately it was
*super obvious* to me during their demo that the software is not only
restricted to Windows, but it also uses Windows GUI APIs extensively. There are
also lots of "super convenient" features such as integration with Microsoft
Excel for processing tabular data, and using Google Earth to visualise
geographical data... The audience was wowed by these "features" as I cringed as
each one was presented. What frustrates me is that the features are indeed
quite convenient purely from a technical/functionality perspective, but are
such a bad perpetuation of non-Free software!

Perhaps what garnered the most praise from the audience was the deep
integration with R. This software tool streamlines many routine but tedious
processes by wrapping certain work done in R into its GUI (R needs to be
installed alongside with this tool). To be honest it does make a huge
difference and would save a TON of time for data processing (hours instead of
weeks, I'm not kidding), while providing enough check boxes and sliders for
customisation. But I'm sure you can also see the irony in integrating R, a
prime example of Free Software, with a proprietary solution. Another big cringe.

Since this software is still new, and they want to discuss "open sourcing" it
with me more, I'd really like to formulate a strategy for how best to move this
project in the right direction. I did offer to help with organising the
community around Freeing the software, though I don't really have experience in
that (!) and would need your help with it, too.

Anyway, thanks again for your input thus far, from what I've gathered here's
some points from what you've suggested:

* Free Software is important for science because it can be peer reviewed like
any other method, and users can trust the methodology (i.e. software) you
created.

* Free Software development is not uncontrolled. They still get full
attribution/credit and control the official release. Others just get to submit
changes or fork their own versions.

* Free Software will be of higher quality.

* Even if they one day want to sell this software, keeping it Free will
actually make it easier.

* Free Software will avoid unmaintained software from permanently dying.

* "freeware combines the worst elements of Free and proprietary business models"

* Sense of loyalty that comes from users of Free Software.

* "Have they never improved upon someone else's work? Have they ever, as
scientists, adapted someone else's work for their own needs, that maybe were
different from the original author/researcher's? Of course they have"

Before I go into the next meeting, when I hope to elaborate more on those
points, I just wanted to see if you have any other tips. Has anyone here
successfully helped convert a proprietary software project into a Free one? How
do you go about this while respecting the hard work and good intentions of the
developers? I know R is an obvious example of successful Free Software, but are
there a couple other great examples that I can mention with great community
involvement and "sense of loyalty" (ideally in the life sciences like the
WinBUGS to OpenBUGS example)? What are some infamous examples of dead/graveyard
technical proprietary software? Anything else interesting?

Finally, I believe there will be great value in creating an extensive FAQ about
Free Software to answer and rebut some of the issues I mentioned before. I
think a thorough, empirical evidence-based issue-by-issue debunking of Free
Software myths would be wonderful. I promise I don't mean to detract from the
topic of this list, but here are two great examples of what I am talking about
for another important topic:

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2004/12/index/

http://scholarsandrogues.com/2007/07/23/anti-global-heating-claims-a-reasonably-thorough-debunking/

How can we develop something like this?

Thank you!!

P.S. I intentionally did not go into exactly what the science is since I don't
think it is very relevant and would take a lot more space, but I can explain if
you are curious.