[libreplanet-discuss] Gratis software being released as proprietary

From: Steen Engholm
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Gratis software being released as proprietary
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 11:22:43 +0200

Are you open sourcing free software? The focus of open source is remarkable in many ways and may not be competable - this is where free software and open source software ideally is alike .. but, obviously not with the same focus.
Your post here is tangential to some speculations I have had on this - specifically that software solutions on their own terms may be praiseworthy, but that there are so many of them.
Since you also raise the issue of an FAQ I think it is ok for me to add in this perspective here.
Digital solutions are fast becomming an overwhelming factor, and the issues of not producing free software or producing free software do pertain to a societal issue entirely apart from technically focussed observations.

This should not be an obfuscated topic. My alluding to your efforts as "open sourcing free software" - and I mean no offense - is meant to point at the topical one-sidedness of discussing free software as an technical issue only - even including the free software community software projects.

Steen