[libreplanet-discuss] Free Software on apple Store

From: mark
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Free Software on apple Store
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 11:08:40 -0500

Hi,

I was thinking about GPL software not being allowed on the iphone store, in particular games. It seems to me that it should be fairly easy to make an app with a license compatible with these tos which could download and install GPL software from another website. Perhaps the app could be available elsewhere under the GPL. Would this be a great way to spread free software? Would Super Tux Kart turn into the killer app that makes everyone everywhere finally demand freedom with their software? Or would it just end up like a new tivoization, the latest trick to get around the GPl?

If there may be some merit to this idea, I would be curious about what license might be appropriate. Could the LGPL be used on the iphone store? Is there another that might work? Would the FSF be interested in making a special version of the GPL for this kind of situation?

Sincerely,

Mark