Re: how to contribute

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: how to contribute
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 12:58:55 -0700

Graham Percival wrote:

On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 01:48:35 -0700
Paul Scott <address@hidden> wrote:
Graham Percival wrote:
(the -z3 makes cvs use compression
while downloading any updates, which makes it faster and lessens the
load on the servers)

I'm willing to try this but don't understand the steps yet.  I will
read the doc's and see if I can get more out of them but I wouldn't
mind some hints.  I believe this (learning by example) is exactly the
conclusion reached by some about the Lily doc's.

OK.  Delete the tarball source.  Go to
http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=lilypond
and read the "Anonymous CVS access" and "Software repository" sections.
The <modulename> you want is lilypond.

Once you've downloaded that, go into the lilypond directory and do
"cvs -z3 update".  (in case somebody submitted a change while you
were downloading the whole thing)
You must run ./autogen.sh before you compile anything.

Thanks for all of that. I've still got a lot to learn. Here's what I get now:

address@hidden:/usr/local/src$ cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/lilypond login
Logging in to :pserver:address@hidden:2401/cvsroot/lilypond
CVS password:
address@hidden:/usr/local/src$ cvs -z3 -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/lilypond co lilyp
ond
cvs checkout: cannot rewrite CVS/Entries.Backup: Permission denied
cvs checkout: cannot rewrite CVS/Entries.Backup: Permission denied
cvs checkout: cannot rewrite CVS/Entries.Backup: Permission denied
cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot remove file CVS/Entries.Static: Permission denied

Thanks,

Paul