Linux on Mac laptop, was Re: doc and bug work

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Linux on Mac laptop, was Re: doc and bug work
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 14:54:54 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006, Graham Percival wrote:

> After the 30th, I'll be back to my OSX 10.3.9 laptop for a few months until I
> get a new laptop (which will definitely be running linux!).

FWIW I just upgraded my iBook by installing openSUSE 10.1 on it. There is
still an OSX partition, but I rarely boot into it, because the machine is
so much more responsive than with OSX (probably OSX 10.4.x is faster, but
I just do not want to spend money on uÃpgrading my 10.2.8).Even the
close-the-lid-and-it-suspends-to-RAM is faster.

Now, just a few words of warning:

openSUSE 10.1 on PowerPC/Mac has a subtle bug whereby you cannot boot your
installed system, because the boot partition is not marked bootable. I
reported the bug and the solution, and openSUSE 10.2 should have it fixed.

Also, if you resize your OSX partition, make sure you disabled the journal
first (on OSX, in a command line, do "disktool -disableJournal
/dev/yourpartitionhere"); about half of the reports I heard went fine with
the journal _enabled_, but the other half did not.

The worst thing for me: since ATI is a collection of air-heads, they have
no open source driver for their Radeon card. And of course, they only
compile it for -- you guessed it -- x86 and x86_64. So, I am stuck without
3d acceleration (which I need for my work) :-(.

Apart from these issues (where just the last remains), I am more than
happy that I installed Linux on the iBook. In fact, I am writing this
on my iBook, in a nice kterm!

Ciao,
Dscho