Re: Questions about articulation settings for the GDP

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Questions about articulation settings for the GDP
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 00:14:35 -0700

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

Graham Percival wrote:
Eyolf Østrem wrote:

1. Automatic placement. I think there should  be a brief note about
what the rules are for how they are placed by default. Opposite of the
stem? How about polyphony? According to the voice number?

I think the best answer is to experiment -- make up examples with and without polyphony (or perhaps simply altering \voiceOne to \voiceTwo or no command at all), give it a bunch of articulations, and see what happens.

Actually, the answer is different for different articulations. Some, like \fermata
are always placed above the stave, whereas others like \accent are placed
opposite to the stem. All this is specified in the file scm/script.scm.

Eyolf, could you include info about this in your next update of Expressive?

Referring to @{file{scm/script.scm} is fine; you can grep for "@file" to see other examples of this in the docs.

\set crescendoText = \markup { \italic "cresc. poco" }
\set crescendoSpanner = #'line
a'2\< a a a a a a a\!\mf

Added as