Re: Postponed Bugs #83 and #297: "a Someone Else Problem"

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Postponed Bugs #83 and #297: "a Someone Else Problem"
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 21:31:08 -0200

2008/1/27, Juergen Reuter <address@hidden>:
> > The ligature events are implemented as 'command-event', like \bar and
> > \time, which fall in between the notes.    This is inconsistent with
> > start/stop commands like [ ] , but I can't really judge if that is the
> > best way to do it.
>
> Hmmh, I don't understand.  In Lily 2.7.x, in define-music-types.scm,
> LigatureEvent has "(types . (general-music span-event ligature-event
> event))", i.e. it is a SpanEvent, or am I missing something?  In Lily
> 2.11.x, it is implemented as StreamEvent, due to Erik's changes.  How is
> this related to "command-event" (which, btw, I could not find in the
> sources)?

this distinction is not in the music 'type-system', but rather how the
events are attached to other things.  Beam/slur/etc. start/stop are
attached to the notes, so in

  c4]

the ] starts at the beginning of the note.  Commands like \bar , \clef
and \] are not attached to notes, so for

  c4 \]

the event registers at the end of the note, at the start of the new time-step.

I don't know what the best solution is, but for consistency, it would
probably be best if they were attached to notes like beams.  The
downside to attaching to notes is that you would not be able to do

  ligs = { \[ s2 \] }

  <<  { c8 d e f }
        \ligs >>

and have the ligature enclose the 4 notes.

> (Oh, you are right, it's difficult to find me on the web, since my old
> home page unfortunately died a while ago; there is now a new one at
> www.juergen-reuter.de).

maybe you can update the relevant web-pages? That would be a useful
exercise in git use :-)