Re: Postponed Bugs #83 and #297: "a Someone Else Problem"

From: Juergen Reuter
Subject: Re: Postponed Bugs #83 and #297: "a Someone Else Problem"
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:34:35 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

2008/1/27, Juergen Reuter <address@hidden>:
The ligature events are implemented as 'command-event', like \bar and
\time, which fall in between the notes.    This is inconsistent with
start/stop commands like [ ] , but I can't really judge if that is the
best way to do it.

Hmmh, I don't understand.  In Lily 2.7.x, in define-music-types.scm,
LigatureEvent has "(types . (general-music span-event ligature-event
event))", i.e. it is a SpanEvent, or am I missing something?  In Lily
2.11.x, it is implemented as StreamEvent, due to Erik's changes.  How is
this related to "command-event" (which, btw, I could not find in the
sources)?

this distinction is not in the music 'type-system', but rather how the
events are attached to other things.  Beam/slur/etc. start/stop are
attached to the notes, so in

 c4]

the ] starts at the beginning of the note.  Commands like \bar , \clef
and \] are not attached to notes, so for

 c4 \]

the event registers at the end of the note, at the start of the new time-step.

Aah, ok, I see.

I don't know what the best solution is, but for consistency, it would
probably be best if they were attached to notes like beams.

Yes. Honestly speaking, I did not feel too much comfortable, when the post attributes-like "c4[ c4]" kind of notation for slurs and beams was introduced. But you are right, for the sake of consistency, ligature notation probably should follow this approach, too (as already mentioned in the docs, btw.).

The
downside to attaching to notes is that you would not be able to do

 ligs = { \[ s2 \] }

 <<  { c8 d e f }
       \ligs >>

and have the ligature enclose the 4 notes.

I think this is a non-issue, because having a ligature in one voice definitely does not imply that there are simultaneous ligatures in other voices. That is, in the above example, having the ligature enclose the 4 notes would actually be a bug. By the way, if you are using ligature brackets, there should be only a single voice per staff anyway; otherwise, the notation would easily become confusing for the human reader (i.e. which ligature bracket belongs to which notes, etc.).

(Oh, you are right, it's difficult to find me on the web, since my old
home page unfortunately died a while ago; there is now a new one at
www.juergen-reuter.de).

maybe you can update the relevant web-pages? That would be a useful
exercise in git use :-)

You should claim sponsoring from the git guys for advertising and spreading use of their piece of software among the lilypond community! :-) Ok, I will eventually try, as soon as I find some time to browse through the git docs!

Greetings,
Juergen