Re: Git conflicts

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: Git conflicts
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 18:27:25 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008, Rune Zedeler wrote:

> Valentin Villenave skrev:
> > Yes, AFAICR I did it all by the book. Mainline is the branch you want
> > to come back to, I think.
>
> Ok, in that case I see no point in reverting and trying again.
> The result should be the same.
>
> Hmm, perhaps the best thing is to branch off a new branch (dev/rune2)
> just before the merge, and then cherry-pick the commits I did after the
> revert...?

This would be a rebase.

Basically, you have to find out what the relationship is between the two
branches you are trying to merge.

You can do that witk "gitk <branch1> <branch2>" (graphically), or with
"git show-branch <branch1> <branch2>" (text-mode).

Of course, for this you need to fetch the tracking branch, instead of
pulling it.

Now, if there are only a couple of commits you want to transplant, say
HEAD~15..HEAD, onto another branch, say "remotes/dev/rune2", you can call
this command:

        $ git rebase -i --onto remotes/dev/rune2 HEAD~15

It will show you the list of the commits to be applied, and the rebase
("transplant") will start after you save and exit the editor.

Note: this command implies that the last commit you want to transplant is
the HEAD commit.

Hth,
Dscho