Re: Git conflicts

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Git conflicts
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 19:14:27 +0200

2008/6/21 Rune Zedeler <address@hidden>:

> After all, I was the one who suggested that you tried and merge master into
> my branch on your local repos.

I really needed *both* your code and the new features/bugfixes from
latest 2.11 releases... :-)

> I would probably have made the same mistake at some point if I was working
> on someone else's branch in my local repos.

As I told you, I thought the branch was "yours", and therefore I
didn't think I was allowed to push anything to it.

> The right thing to do had probably been to create a new branch in your end
> to contain the merged version of my branch.

So did I. But when I pushed my work on the docs, I must have typed a
wrong command and pushed everything to your branch instead of
master...

> My guess is that git lacks the functionality of "registering" a revert as a
> revert, and therefore kept thinking that my branch was depending on your
> branch - even after you did the revert og the merge.

What's most annoying is that a merge is actually hard to revert. If I
had "just" deleted a bunch of lines or files, it would have been luch
easier to revert :-)

Cheers,
Valentin