Re: Autobeaming patch rev 2

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Autobeaming patch rev 2
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 21:25:58 +0100

Carl

I'm not competent to judge your patch but this sounds excellent!

When this arrived I was part-way through replying to your
previous email, which was to make the point that not all
combinations of the several parameters which control beaming
were necessarily compatible.  There are many other combinations
of properties in LilyPond which do not make sense.  I too was
coming to the conclusion that beatGrouping and beatLength
were essentially incompatible, and that beatLength was more
intended for controlling the subdivision of manual beams,
as I suggested earlier.

Do all the existing beam-related regression tests run
correctly through your code?

Trevor

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carl D. Sorensen" <address@hidden> To: "lily-devel" <address@hidden>; "Han-Wen Nienhuys" <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2008 8:11 PM
Subject: Autobeaming patch rev 2

I've revisited my proposed patch on autobeaming.

The time signature for the autobeaming is now taken from
timeSignatureFraction instead of from measureLength and beatLength.  This
prevents the previous conversion of 12/16 to 6/8.

In order to deal with potential conflicts between autobeaming based on
beatLength and beatGrouping, I have established the following logic.

1) if beatGrouping is valid (meaning that the total number of beats in
beatGrouping times beatLength is equal to measureLength), then beatGrouping
is used for autobeaming.

2) if beatGrouping is invalid, then beatLength is used for autobeaming.

The effect of this is to keep all existing code that controls autobeaming by
beatLength working, because when beatLength is changed, beatGrouping becomes
invalid.

Obtaining the time signature from timeSignatureFraction resolves issue 511.

I've attached a file that shows how this works (it could become a regression
test), a diff of scm/auto-beams.scm, and a pdf of the output.

Is it OK to apply?

Carl