Re: Autobeaming patch rev 2

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Autobeaming patch rev 2
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 12:38:06 +0200

Mats Bengtsson wrote:
Wasn't i Joe who worked with the autobeaming most recently?
What I intended to say was:
Wasn't it Joe who worked on beaming (especially beam subdivisions) most recently?
It seems like a good idea
to coordinate your patch with him, since the support for autobeams is rather hairy.

Carl D. Sorensen wrote:

I too was
coming to the conclusion that beatGrouping and beatLength
were essentially incompatible, and that beatLength was more
intended for controlling the subdivision of manual beams,
as I suggested earlier.

I think with this current architecture, we can use beatLength to subdivide beams and either beatLength or beatGrouping to automatically divide beams.
I never understood why there should be a difference between manual and automatic
beams, when it comes to beam subdivisions.
When it comes to the interpretation of the term "beat length" I may be completely wrong since I'm not a native English speaker, but if somebody asked me what the beat length was in 6/8, for example, I would immediately say 3/8, i.e. that you "stamp your foot" twice a measure when you play the music (unless you had a conductor as in our youth orchestra who shouted "no feet" if anybody trusted his/her own foot more than the conductor).

At least previously, the beatLength has been used both for beam subdivision and for autobeaming (see case 5 in the comment in auto-beam.scm). This has caused me quite some confusion and I've always needed some trial and error to sort out the appropriate settings. I haven't looked at your patch, but hope that the influence of the different
property settings is more transparent now.

   /Mats

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        School of Electrical Engineering