Re: RFC: new vertical layout engine

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: RFC: new vertical layout engine
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 22:27:09 -0700

On Fri, 2009-07-10 at 19:21 -0600, Andrew Hawryluk wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 9:09 AM, Reinhold
> Kainhofer<address@hidden> wrote:
> > Am Montag, 22. Juni 2009 15:31:14 schrieb Joe Neeman:
> >> A quick update on the new vertical spacing: [...]
> >> Anything I've missed?
> >
> > While the new vertical spacing looks great for full scores (one system per
> > page), I have now run into a case where the old system worked much better.
> > In
> > particular, the spacing between the systems is too small with the new
> > system,
> > while in the old system it was easy to see where the systems end and new
> > systems begin. (On the positive side: The piano staff looks much better with
> > the new system).
> >
> > PDFs:
> > Old: (enough space between systems)
> > http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/~reinhold/LilyPond/VerticalStretching/Franck_PanisAngelicus_Score_Full.old.pdf
> >
> > New: (not enough space between systems)
> > http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/~reinhold/LilyPond/VerticalStretching/Franck_PanisAngelicus_Score_Full.new.pdf
> >
> > Lilypond code:
> > http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/~reinhold/LilyPond/VerticalStretching/0054_Franck_Panis_angelicus.zip
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Reinhold
>

> I haven't had time to try the new code yet, but can the problem be
> resolved by a property that sets the spring constant between systems
> relative to the springs between staves? Sorry if this is already how
> it works ... I'll probably get to try the new branch when I get our
> ceiling put back together.

between-system-spacing in the \paper block controls the spacing
(including the spring constant) between systems. For spacing within a
system, you can use the grob properties next-staff-spacing for
VerticalAxisGroup or between-staff-spacing/after-last-staff-spacing for
StaffGrouper.

The default settings are only provisional, but with this example I'm
more concerned about the wasted space that appears at the top and bottom
of each page.

Joe