Re: Dead lyrics context still occupies vertical space

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: Dead lyrics context still occupies vertical space
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 09:52:28 +1000

On Tue, 2009-08-11 at 01:10 +0200, Francisco Vila wrote:
> 2009/8/11 Joe Neeman <address@hidden>:
> > On Mon, 2009-08-10 at 13:03 +0200, Francisco Vila wrote:
> >> Hello. The example below shows that the new vertical engine makes dead
> >> lyrics contexts to occup space. This did not happen before, IMO the
> >> new lyrics should (IF it has enough room) to align with the previous
> >> one.
> >
> > Did this work before (see bug 127)?
>
> My examples worked (and still work) on 2.12
>
> > Anyway, it works for me if I
> > override
> > Lyrics.VerticalAxisGroup #'inter-loose-line-spacing #'space = 0
> > Lyrics.VerticalAxisGroup #'inter-loose-line-spacing #'stretchability = 0
>
> Yes, but does all this verbosity workaround the bug cleanly? If yes,
> please make it the default, see below.

It's no more verbose than the current defaults; I've just committed it.

> > If you can verify that it looks ok for non-trivial examples, I'll make
> > that the default.
>
> Yes, If the Agnus qualifies for a non-trivial example. Verified, thanks
>
> Updated
> http://paconet.org/agnus.ly
> http://paconet.org/agnus.pdf
>
> It looks much better now, except for the footer, when stretched.

Is the footer too close to the lyrics? The default value (in the paper
block) for bottom-system-spacing is
bottom-system-spacing = #'((space . 1) (padding . 1) (min-distance . 0)
(stretchability . 5))

Could you try an increased padding value (maybe 2 or 3)?

> When it's not stretched, the default stave padding is still not
> satisfying for me, I hate to say.

Is it too tight? Try overriding ChoirStaff.StaffGrouper
#'between-staff-spacing #'space to something larger (default is 9).

Cheers,
Joe