Re: Dead lyrics context still occupies vertical space

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: Dead lyrics context still occupies vertical space
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 11:19:12 +1000

On Tue, 2009-08-11 at 02:17 +0200, Francisco Vila wrote:
> 2009/8/11 Joe Neeman <address@hidden>:
> > Is the footer too close to the lyrics? The default value (in the paper
> > block) for bottom-system-spacing is
> > bottom-system-spacing = #'((space . 1) (padding . 1) (min-distance . 0)
> > (stretchability . 5))
> >
> > Could you try an increased padding value (maybe 2 or 3)?
>
> 3 is fine; 2 is too close IMO

Thanks, could you also try increasing 'space? The problem (which
occurred to me after sending the last email) with just doing padding is
that it affects tightly spaced scores as well as loosely spaced scores.

> >> When it's not stretched, the default stave padding is still not
> >> satisfying for me, I hate to say.
> >
> > Is it too tight? Try overriding ChoirStaff.StaffGrouper
> > #'between-staff-spacing #'space to something larger (default is 9).
>
> This seems to be a dangerous variable: 9 is not enough; more than 9
> makes systems to be closer than staves in a system, which one should
> always avoid.

Right, you need to keep StaffGrouper #'between-staff-spacing and
\paper { between-system-spacing } balanced (along with some other
variables too). But if you can find a good default for
between-staff-spacing, I can just bump up everything by a corresponding
amount.

> In my example, possibly staves should benefit from a hard padding on
> top, say 4 spaces or so. Otherwise lyrics collide with the next staff.

There's currently no way to specify the spacing between a lyrics line
with staff-affinity UP and the line below it, but it's on my TODO list.

Joe