Re: PATCH: Improved tablature support

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: PATCH: Improved tablature support
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 20:51:42 +0100

Carl Sorensen wrote Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:32 PM

And if we're ever going to move it to a postfix operator (which is one of the goals of the GLISS project), now is the time, before we get a strong
codebase of music function applications.

I'm beginning to wonder whether this is a
desirable objective, after all.  There is
already a large set of pre-defs which by their
nature must be placed before the notes which
they affect - all the \twiddleOn \twiddleOff
pre-defs for example.  Then all the commands
are pre-fix operators - \new, \relative, \clef,
etc.  We can't change any of these.  \tweak
and \override are pre-fix.

Now we see a great advantage in writing music
functions - they're easy to write and can be made
to work inside and outside chords.  But they
have to be pre-fix from their nature.  Is that
really a bad thing?

Trevor