Re: the name of your repo directory?

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: the name of your repo directory?
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 22:24:42 +0100

Le lundi 21 décembre 2009 à 21:44 -0800, Mark Polesky a écrit :
> Except that once I designate a remote branch `origin', I
> need to name the other branch something else?  My
> understanding is hazy, but from the build directory of my
> `master' repo, adding the lilypond/translation branch as in
> CG 1.1.4 returns `fatal: remote origin already exists.'  The
> whole procedure in context follows below; what's the right
> way to do it?

Each of those instructions is meant to start a new repository with
setting up a single remote branch.  If you want to add an extra branch
to the repository, then see "1.4.3 Working on LilyPond sources with
several branches".

You may want to explain this point in every section by adding; I
recommend you define a macro at the beginning of git-starting.itexi like

@macro creatingOtherBranches
This set of commands is only for creating a new repository!  To add new
branches already present on @uref{git.sv.gnu.org/foo/bar} to this
repository, see @ref{Working on LilyPond sources with several branches}
@end macro

to avoid text duplication in the sources.

IMHO it would make more sense if "1.4.2 Git commands for managing
several branches" was after "1.4.3 Working on LilyPond sources with
several branches", and/or if there was a @seealso link from the latter
to the former.

Best,
John