Re: CG chapter 2, first draft

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: CG chapter 2, first draft
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 16:59:19 +0000

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 08:32:28AM -0800, Mark Polesky wrote:
> Graham Percival wrote:
> > - elsewhere in the docs, we use "foo -- bar", not
> > "foo---bar".  I don't pretend to be authoritative about
> > the difference, though.
>
> I've read that the typographical ideal is:
>
>   word, hair-space, em-dash, hair-space, word
>
> The hair-spaces allow lines to break on either side of the
> em-dash.

Sorry, I don't follow -- (pun not intended) but in any case,
please start a new thread if you're proposing a change to the doc
policy.

> > If you want to change this policy, we can discuss it, but
> > please don't just go changing things inside the hu/
> > translation.
>
> Huh?  The only things I changed in hu/ were two
> @rcontrib{Starting with git} links.  The only reason I did
> that was because I capitalized Git in the @node and I
> thought it was needed in order to compile successfully.

I'm pretty certain, although I wouldn't swear to it, that I saw
some other changes to hu/ that had been recently committed.

> > If you want to push this patch and change other items
> > later, I'm happy with that -- as long as you remove the
> > changes to hu/ and essay/ from this patch.  They're a
> > separate matter, and shouldn't be rolled into such a big
> > change.
>
> You mean hu/ and web/ I presume?  Won't that break
> compilation?

Umm...

I suspect that there's a communication breakdown somewhere.
Refrasing the above,

"please create a new commit, and verify that it only contains the
changes you want to make.  I'm happy with WTM happens with
Documentation/contribution/git-starting.itexi and
.../working.itexi, but I'm going to stare at changes to any other
file with a steely-eyed gaze.  Make sure there's no accidental
changes to any other file."

oh, and... "if you're certain that the new commit doesn't screw
with files it shouldn't be screwing with, go ahead and push".

You know that you can view the patch details in gitk, or by doing
"git format-patch origin" and then looking at the file directly,
right?