Re: changes to Clef

From: Ian Hulin
Subject: Re: changes to Clef
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 23:36:22 +0000

Hi Peter,

On 01/02/10 23:20, Peter Chubb wrote:
"Graham" == Graham Percival<address@hidden>  writes:

Graham>  On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 07:51:03PM -0700, Carl Sorensen wrote:

Graham>  I'd rather keep them at the end, to somewhat discourage their
Graham>  use.  Only music history geeks will understand them; \treble
Graham>  is much more widely understood.

Not entirely true.  Music theoreticians will also understand them --
the `treble' clef is a G clef on the second staff line; the `bass'
clef is an F clef on the fourth staff line -- that's how it was always
explained to me when I was learning music.  And check the Wikipedia
article on Clef.
. . .which explains why there are *two* common usages of the C clef, alto and tenor. The way a previous post equated C clef as a synonym for tenor clef would lead to a legion of pissed-off viola players.

Cheers,
Ian