Re: fixes and questions for make -C Documentation po-update

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: fixes and questions for make -C Documentation po-update
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 20:17:46 +0200

Op zaterdag 10-04-2010 om 18:23 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef
Jean-Charles Malahieude:

> It would effectively be nice if the parsing that generates the "pot"
> file to exclude the translation-subdirs...

I agree this is truly silly -- done.

> But this fr.po file is very useful to me:
> when I encounter a cross-reference towards a certain node, I have to
> give it the same spelling as when I translated it somewhere else some
> time ago. I then open fr.po, look for the English naming, and copy&paste
> what I need as I'm in the middle of vocal.itely and don't  know where in
> which other file it comes from.

Hmm.  I understand how you work, but this is a *very expensive
feature to have: you require every translated node name (about 1000)
to be kept up-to-date manually across the .tely and the po file.

Also, this is not what .po files are for.  They are for automatic
gettext translation.  Strings that are not used in that way should
not be there.

You can generate such a list quite easily using grep, try

   grep -B1 @translationof Documentation/fr/*.* Documentation/fr/*/*.* >
my-nodes

> I can also translate the node name even if the file in which it appears
> has not been translated at all.

Yes, but who is going to pick this up?

> There are several ways to proceed:
> 1- Put a "@c KEEP LY" before the snippet and translate inline like
> Francisco did.

Ah, yes snippet-update.  That's useful, thanks for the reminder.

Greetings,
Jan.

Freelance IT http://JoyOfSource.com | AvatarĀ®  http://AvatarAcademy.nl