[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Translation errors in German documentation

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Translation errors in German documentation
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 10:35:10 +0200
User-agent: Gnus/5.13 (Gnus v5.13) Emacs/24.0.50 (gnu/linux)

Marc Hohl <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup schrieb:
>> My recommendation would be to plaster the index with all
>> possibilities, but to use in the translation just "Bundinstrumente"
>> (which is a rather common term), or alternatively "Saiteninstrumente
>> mit B√ľnden".  "bundiert" is, at best, a pseudo-academic substitution
>> for "fretted".
> I am not sure about the correct form to use here, but if I go to a
> guitar (or bass)
> manufacturer to order an electic bass guitar, he will ask whether I want to
> have the fretboard fretted ("bundiert") or fretless - the same goes
> for orders
> concerning instrument parts, where you can buy necks/fretboards for guitars
> and basses (you can buy them without frets and do the fret job for yourself,
> this would be called "bundieren", or you have to change the fret wire,
> because
> it is worn out: "Neubundierung") - the term "bundiert" is (at least in
> the guitar
> world) very common.

No idea about music maker terms.  I suspect it may be again catering for
the absence of a German term for "fretted".  "fretless", by the way, has
a perfect translation "bundlos".

> Oh, and wikipedia uses "bundiert" even vor Dulcimers, see

Let's say that Wikipedia user "Veltborn" uses "Bundierung" and Frank
Behnsen uses "bundiert".  Both of these terms were only introduced in
2009 into the respective articles, so that would not really speak
against my theory of them being neologisms.  In particular since the
Dulcimer is mostly an American instrument, making it likely that the
term was introduced in translation.

> so while it may not be totally correct, it seems to be a commonly used
> technical term, therefore I used it in the translation. I can have a
> closer look to some examples in the literature about stringed
> instruments when I am at work today.

That would be appreciated.  I really think that the terms are rather new
and not in common use (Google searches point to not much more than the
Wikipedia articles and Lilypond docs).

I'd really recommend going for "bundlose Saiteninstrumente"
vs. "Bundinstrumente" instead.  Those are rather well established, I
think, and not just with instrument makers, but also players and

David Kastrup

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]