Re: Translation errors in German documentation

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Translation errors in German documentation
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 15:40:00 +0200

Marc Hohl <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup schrieb:
>
>> My recommendation would be to plaster the index with all
>> possibilities, but to use in the translation just "Bundinstrumente"
>> (which is a rather common term), or alternatively "Saiteninstrumente
>> mit Bünden".  "bundiert" is, at best, a pseudo-academic substitution
>> for "fretted".
>>
> I am not sure about the correct form to use here, but if I go to a
> guitar (or bass) manufacturer to order an electic bass guitar, he will
> ask whether I want to have the fretboard fretted ("bundiert") or
> fretless - the same goes for orders concerning instrument parts, where
> you can buy necks/fretboards for guitars and basses (you can buy them
> without frets and do the fret job for yourself, this would be called
> "bundieren", or you have to change the fret wire, because it is worn
> out: "Neubundierung") - the term "bundiert" is (at least in the guitar
> world) very common.

One afterthought here: if you look at your statement here, all you claim
is that "bundiert" is the term for _fretboards_ being equipped with
Bünden, but not for a class of instruments.

So it's quite conceivable that we are talking about a manufacturing (or
Luthier's) rather than an applied musician term.

So I repeat my recommendation to use "Bundinstrumente" vs. "bundlose
Saiteninstrumente" (or even "bundlose Instrumente" if there is nothing
inherently string-specific) as translation.

I am not actually all too sure that this distinction is not merely a red
herring: tabulature, just like standard notation, assumes playing in a
12-note room.  Whether or not there are explicit frets does not make a
significant difference here.  Most certainly a player accustomed to
playing from tabulature when playing a fretted instrument will not
suddenly prefer standard notation when acquiring a fretless instrument
of the same disposition, and vice versa.

Of course, that's ultimately for the English documentation to decide.