Re: lilypond-devel Digest, Vol 90, Issue 84

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: lilypond-devel Digest, Vol 90, Issue 84
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 09:18:36 -0600

On 5/28/10 8:13 AM, "James Lowe" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Carl,
>
> Carl Sorensen wrote:
>> "Simple" and "doc build" should not be used in the same sentence regarding
>> LilyPond, IMO.  I think that the doc build is probably the most complicated
>> thing that a LilyPond setup will ever do.
>
>  From my own personal perspective (assuming I have the Lilybuntu installed).
>
> 1. Download lilygit.tcl - change permissions so I can execute it.
>
> 2. Double click it and then select 'get source'
>
> 3. cd lilypond-git
>
> 4. ./autogens.sh ; make ; make doc
>
> 5. Wait for a while. I have docs.
>
> now I have build I can make patches on
>
> 1. Make a change to a file in the doc for some patch
>
> 2. cd Documentation dir
>
> 3. touch [manual_name].itexi/itely I have edited the relevant itexi file
> for.
>
> 4. make doc.
>
> 5 repeat 6 - 10 as needed.
>
> While step 8 I am told is a 'bug' in our build process, it is hardly
> complicated (unless I am missing something but then again I know no
> other project as this is only one of its kind I have ever worked on).

But all of this assumes that you have a *working* development system.  When
the development system is working, the doc build is trivial.  But the doc
build system exercises everything in LilyPond plus a bunch of other stuff
(like texi2html, and a gazillion arcane build scripts).  So if there is
anything anywhere in your build system that is not perfectly right, the doc
build will find it out.  Hence, although it's simple to the user, it's not
simple for the development installation.

If your step 4:

./autogen.sh

fails, then you may have a bunch of work to get the prerequisites installed.

And if

make
or
make doc

fails, then you have a bunch of work to try to figure out what to do to make
it work.  That's where Kieren had his problems.  And the path can seem
infinitely long, with no guaranteed end.

That's why we're now recommending lilybuntu on a VM for non GNU/Linux
machines.  As far as I know, installation of lilybuntu is practically
bulletproof.

Thanks,

Carl