Re: Line breaks in @file{} entries?

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Line breaks in @file{} entries?
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 12:16:00 +0100

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 11:30 PM, Mark Polesky <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm a little puzzled by your recent patch 1b832d7
> "Doc: clean up @file{} entries".  In the commit description,
> you say you're "escaping such characters as `.', `/' or
> `-'." But the only thing I see in the diff are some 900
> additions of
>  @/

... Yes, I did notice that... It took me long enough :)

> which is the texinfo command to allow line breaks.  So now
> we'll get things like
>
> blah blah blah texi-langutils
> .py.
>
> instead of
>
> blah blah blah
> texi-langutils.py.

Oh, that's unfortunate indeed.

I did do my homework and have a look at the texinfo manual, but I
thought this was just escaped characters. Either way, the syntax
wasn't quite consistent since there were some refs with @/ "escaping",
others without and this wasn't mentioned in the CG at all. (dots are
even "escaped" in some @uref as well!)

> So either I'm missing something, or something else is going
> on.  Was this change discussed on -devel?  If so, somehow I
> missed it.

No, I did consider discussing it but since the diff was almost 400Ko I
couldn't send it so I just pushed it on the translations/ branch.

Ok, what do we do now? We could revert my commit but it will leave the
docs source code with the inconsistency I was trying to address...
Another (possibly more clever?) solution is to remove all @/ before
file extensions, so that such line breaks as what you mentioned can't
occur anymore.

Here's a patch against lilypond/translation that does just that. Can
you have a look?
http://dl.free.fr/hAoeLyyJq
(It's too heavy for the list so I had to upload it elsewhere)
Either way, we need to have a doc policy about that.

Cheers,
Valentin.