Re: Line breaks in @file{} entries?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Line breaks in @file{} entries?
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 00:11:50 +0000

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 07:30:20AM -0800, Mark Polesky wrote:
> Valentin Villenave wrote:
> > No, I did consider discussing it but since the diff was
> > almost 400Ko I couldn't send it so I just pushed it on the
> > translations/ branch.
>
> Can you post to Rietveld?  That's the preferred code sharing
> location.

+1
also, Rietveld isn't magic.  Google doesn't [yet, afaik at least]
read your emails to determine if you like them or not, and cause
rietveld to stop working for you if you dislike large commercial
companies.

If it doesn't work, then either there's something wonky with their
servers, or with your client stuff.  What if you tried removing
git-cl and/or your lilypond directory, and starting with a fresh
git checkout and a new git-cl ?  What if you tried a new
"throw-away" gmail account ?  etc.

then again, -1.  At the moment, we're just at the "discussing
policy" stage; seeing a patch which added or removed @/ in a
thousand places doesn't help to clarify the discussion.

> > Ok, what do we do now? We could revert my commit but it
> > will leave the docs source code with the inconsistency I
> > was trying to address... Another (possibly more clever?)
> > solution is to remove all @/ before file extensions, so
> > that such line breaks as what you mentioned can't occur
> > anymore.
>
> Personally, I wouldn't want @/ anywhere in a @file, but I
> think the right thing to do is to revert the patch and start
> a discussion about what our policy should be for this case.

I don't think that @/ is appropriate.  Certainly not for a short
@file{filename.ext}.  I'm willing to entertain the notion of using
them inside a @file{long/directory/location/with/filename.ext},
although my preferred solution to those would be to put them in a
separate @example or @smallexample.

Also, given the amount of docs which have never been reviewed with
respect to the doc policy, I don't see this particular
inconsistency as important.  Given that the topic has been forced
upon us, I guess we might as well deal with it now, but please
don't go searching around for other doc syntax stuff to ask about.
A lot of people have been saving up other doc syntax
inconsistencies until we have a chance to discuss them all in an
organzied fashion.