Re: Can't compile docs

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Can't compile docs
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 05:29:56 +0000

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 09:06:56PM -0000, Phil Holmes wrote:
> I've been creating a patch for the CG and wanted to test it.  Early
> this afternoon, I edited issues.itexi and compiled it locally, and
> the changes were what I'd created.  However, I'd missed a minor
> edit, so I updated it and tried the make doc again.  The change
> wasn't reflected in the local web pages.

sigh, I hate it when reality makes nice clean documentation
inaccurate.  I've added some warnings about the doc build to the
quick start.

> I did a make doc-clean and make doc and got a failed build.
> I've retried this a few times since with no joy but much time.

I've also recommended against doc-clean in favor of removing the
build directory entirely.

Without seeing the build error -- and be warned that the actual
build error is probably 200-500 lines above the end of the compile
log -- I would recommend doing
  touch Documentation/*.te??
  make

and check if that works.  If it fails, then try "make" once more,
since sometimes it fails when you don't have a clean build dir.
If it fails twice in a row, then something is wrong.

If "make" succeedes, then you could try "make doc" again.  Note
that almost all compile-problems in the docs will be caught by a
plain old "make".