Re: Add Modal transformations (issue4126042)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Add Modal transformations (issue4126042)
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 19:38:45 +0000

On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 05:55:04PM +0000, Bernard Hurley wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 11:20:22AM +0000, address@hidden wrote:
> >> Might it be worth having some predefined scales,
> >> i.e. \diatonicScale and \pentatonicScale and the like?
> >
> > I don't think so; they are not unique.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by this. For instance:

IIRC, "diatonic" can refer to any church mode.

Let me rephrase / alter my initial suggestion: might it be worth
having some predefined scales for actually well-defined scales?
Like \major or \locrian or the like?  They could go in a new
ly/*-init.ly file, or maybe something in scm/.  Something like
"define-scales-init.ly" ?

For octatonic, we could have octatonicA and octatonicB, or
something like that... IIRC there's only two types of those
scales.  (or maybe we should avoid using A and B, and instead call
them "octatonicBeginFull" and "octatonicBeginHalf" ? )