Re: Add Modal transformations (issue4126042)

From: Bernard Hurley
Subject: Re: Add Modal transformations (issue4126042)
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 08:24:15 +0000

On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 07:38:45PM +0000, Graham Percival wrote:
> Let me rephrase / alter my initial suggestion: might it be worth
> having some predefined scales for actually well-defined scales?
> Like \major or \locrian or the like?  They could go in a new
> ly/* file, or maybe something in scm/.  Something like
> "" ?

We could add things like the Messiaen modes.

It would also be nice if we could define our own scales as in:

\defineScale fred = {c d es fis g as bes c}

One of my favourite scales. I don't know if this syntax would be best but I
think it is clear what I mean.

Would it be possible to support scales that repeat at intervals other than an
octave? As, for instance, Hauer and Bartok sometimes used.

> For octatonic, we could have octatonicA and octatonicB, or
> something like that... IIRC there's only two types of those
> scales.  (or maybe we should avoid using A and B, and instead call
> them "octatonicBeginFull" and "octatonicBeginHalf" ? )

Personally I don't like things like "A", "B", "One", "Two" unless they are part
of an established name.