Re: GOP-PROP 1: python formatting

From: Karl Hammar
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 1: python formatting
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 13:41:07 +0200 (CEST)

Graham:
> On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 10:58:11AM +0200, Karl Hammar wrote:
> > Graham:
> > > (this proposal will be rushed because nobody will argue against
> > > it. Initial discussion 6 June, summary and tentative decision 8
> > > June, implementation 10 June)
> > Having set a policy about policy discussions and then breaking it
> > the first thing you do is not a good policy.
> I felt a bit of a rush because the mix of indentation is delaying
> some much-needed improvements to our build system, but I agree

Well then, say so. I wouldn't argue against that.

> > Presenting rules without rationales, gives no ground for decisions.
> > One could the feeling that this is pure nonsense. If you really
> > care about this, provide a pretty printer instead, and stipulate
> > that all code should go through that.
> I am not aware of any pretty printers for python code -- remember

A quick search did not turn up anything useful either, well, sorry
for that then.

For the simple case of removing tabs, "col -b -x" could be one.
Manually finding/expanding tabs is a pain.

> that unlike C++ or scheme, indentation in python is the way that
> one indicates code blocks.  (this makes mixing tabs and spaces
> particularly horrible!)

There is your rationale.

There is a check the python code should pass "python -tt", maybe
it could be run as part of some make process...

Regards,
/Karl Hammar

Aspö Data
Lilla Aspö 148