Re: GOP-PROP 1: python formatting

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 1: python formatting
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 13:23:59 +0100

On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 01:41:07PM +0200, Karl Hammar wrote:
> Graham:
>
> > I am not aware of any pretty printers for python code -- remember
>
> A quick search did not turn up anything useful either, well, sorry
> for that then.

Not at all; thanks for looking!  I should have stated this
explicitly, anyway.  It's an obvious question which I should have
anticipated.

> For the simple case of removing tabs, "col -b -x" could be one.
> Manually finding/expanding tabs is a pain.

On the command-line, there's the expand(1) command.  Alternately,
a text editor could be used to replace \t with 8 spaces.  I
_think_ that all instances of tabs are used to represent 8 spaces
(one of the curses of emacs), but since indentation is so
important in python files, I fear that manual attention to any
automatic system is required.

I've added the above paragraph to the GOP-1 page.

> There is a check the python code should pass "python -tt", maybe
> it could be run as part of some make process...

Good idea; I'll add that to the page.