Re: GOP-PROP 1: python formatting

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 1: python formatting
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 21:34:24 +0200 (CEST)

that unlike C++ or scheme, indentation in python is the way that
one indicates code blocks.  (this makes mixing tabs and spaces
particularly horrible!)

Recently I tried to convert some python 2.7 code that I wrote for a little personal project to python 3.2 using the 2to3 tool.

Then I discovered that my code was suffering from mixed tabs/spaces and inconsistent indentation. With Python 2.7 it worked fine but Python 3.2 was a little more critical and produced a lot of errors.

Another good reason to have consistent indentation rules for our Python code. One day in the future Lilypond tools written in Python might have to be converted to Python 3. (But please, don't hurry - it can wait) This task will be easier if we have good and clean Python 2.x to start from.

--

MT