Re: ambitus: special handling of small ambits' lines (issue4609041)

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: ambitus: special handling of small ambits' lines (issue4609041)
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 15:51:52 +0200

2011/6/13  <address@hidden>:
> Thanks - much clearer!
>
> Two points:
>
> a) It would be better to honour the value of 'gap if this
> is set by the user, rather than change a specifically
> requested gap value.

My rationale is that it wouldn't make sense to set a big gap and
really want to have it applied to all ambituses. Consider the
following:

\new Staff \with { \consists Ambitus_engraver } {
    \override Staff.AmbitusLine #'gap = #0.7
    c' g'
}
\new Staff \with { \consists Ambitus_engraver } {
    \override Staff.AmbitusLine #'gap = #0.7
    c' a'
}
\new Staff \with { \consists Ambitus_engraver } {
    \override Staff.AmbitusLine #'gap = #0.7
    c' b'
}
\new Staff \with { \consists Ambitus_engraver } {
    \override Staff.AmbitusLine #'gap = #0.7
    c' c''
}
\new Staff \with { \consists Ambitus_engraver } {
    \override Staff.AmbitusLine #'gap = #0.7
    c' e''
}
\new Staff \with { \consists Ambitus_engraver } {
    \override Staff.AmbitusLine #'gap = #0.7
    a a''
}

While gap=0.7 works fine for big ambituses (one can easily imagine
that a user may wish such a value), the ambitus of sixth looks
ridiculous without any line inside. I suppose that if someone would
like that "look", he would probably switch the line off entirely.
And for small gap the effect is almost unnoticeable.

> b) I don't understand why quanting is desired.  An ambitus
> doesn't align with anything.  What is your reason?

I thought that it's best if ambitus line eihter ends precisely inside
staff line, or protrudes from it distinctly. In other words, i judged
that
\new Staff \with { \consists "Ambitus_engraver" }
    { \override Staff.AmbitusLine #'gap = #0.3 c' b' }
doesn't look nice.
Ofc i'm aware that this is perhaps as nitpicky as it can go :D

Thanks,
Janek