Re: GOP-PROP 4: lessons from 2.14

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 4: lessons from 2.14
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 16:38:59 +0200

On Jun 30, 2011, at 4:17 PM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 7:26 PM, Graham Percival
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> http://lilypond.org/~graham/gop/gop_4.html
>>
>> ** Proposal summary
>>
>> What went well, what went badly? This is a discussion only; it
>> will be summarized, and we will refer back to it in future policy
>> decisions, but no new policies will be decided in this round.
>>
>> We’ll have (at least) two sections: one for facts that anybody
>> considers relevant, and one for thoughts and commentary.
>>

> Overall, I think this cycle took too long.
>
> We should strive to have policies that make each development release
> be a worthy stable candidate. That means -for example- being serious
> about
>
> * changes passing through the regtest
> * bugfixes and features always having a test to check against

I agree, and I'd go further to add that one of the problems with the 2.13
process towards the end was a difficulty in anticipating what to make regtests
look like so that they tested all possible contingencies.  In order to make
sure that the regtests are robust w/o forcing each change to go through 5 hours
of regression testing, I propose that before each minor release, a large
regression test is run on a suite of real-life pieces followed by a pixel
comparison.  This'd take a while, but it'd provide a periodic check to nip
problems in the bud.

Cheers,
MS