Re: GOP-PROP 4: lessons from 2.14

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 4: lessons from 2.14
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 12:34:56 -0300

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Graham Percival
<address@hidden> wrote:
>> On a tangent: at Google I am working on a side-project that
>> essentially is distcc on steroids; it will allow any compilation
>> It could speed up GUB and regtest checking for those that have access
>> to several machines.
>
> Cool project, but I don't think our limitation is processing
> power.  My desktop is idle at least 95% of the time, so I could
> dedicate a lot more horsepower to GUB if necessary, and the
> problem with regtest checking is one of organization: managing
> volunteers to look at the output.
>
> Daily tests would be awesome:
> http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=933
> but it would take 1-2 hours to write the scripts to update git,
> compile lilypond, and send emails if stuff broke.  I'm not likely
> to have that amount of time to spend on a "pet project" until Sep
> or Oct.

We used to have this, but it was rather fragile, so it only caught
compilation errors, and no regtest breakage.  Also, the regtest still
needs human interpretation, so it does not make that much sense to
automate.

I think it is more worthwhile to look at ways to make it easier and to
speed up running the regtests, so it is easier to push changes that
went through regtest checks.