Re: print transposed guitar chords on piano sheets (issue4626094)

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: print transposed guitar chords on piano sheets (issue4626094)
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 19:09:57 +0100

On 07/07/11 18:08, address@hidden wrote:
> Hi Anthony,
>
> When we discussed this last year, I argued that it shouldn't be part of
> the Chord_name_engraver.  I still think this approach is misguided since
> we already have a convenient way of generating chord name markup via the
> formatter function.

Except I still think you haven't grasped the point of this ... And I
think you were alone in thinking the formatter function was the right
place. Bear in mind that it would require editing EVERY formatter,
whereas here I am just making a (small) modification to the engraver.

> If you check the archives, you'll see a proof-of-concept patch I posted
> which shows how easy it would be to implement this enhancement in scheme
> via the existing chord name formatting code.

Which I probably didn't understand :-) BUT from what I remember did you
think that feeding a chord of, say, C into the formatter should chuck
out A as its result? Which is NOT what this does - it has to chuck out
both C *and* A. Bear in mind - that for EVERY chord the formatter has to
be run TWICE, so modifying all the formatters to loop will be a pain,
then anybody writing a new formatter has to remember to make it loop,
etc etc.

I really can't understand why having to modify EVERY formatter is better
than having to modify ONE engraver.

> Cheers,
> Neil

Cheers,