Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (probable decision)

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (probable decision)
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 10:07:29 +0200

Trevor Daniels writes:

>> Not much response from the previous GOP-PROP 5 (update); I'm not
>> certain if "silence is a form of consent" [1] in this context.
>
> In my case it's because I have difficulty in understanding precisely
> what the effect of this change will be on any work I do.

+1

I proposed to adopt the linux/git/automake convention of using silent
rules so that you get something like

  make
  CC lily/foo.c
  ..
  LB Documentation/web.texi
  LB Documentation/notation.texi

or what you currently get when doing: make V=1 .

That's what everyone understands.  If you want silence and logging, why
not just do something like

   nohup make &

or

   make >& mybuild.log

[optionally using tail -f, grep and sed -- or those rolled together in a
 nice python script -- to get info on progress]

It almost seems to me someone is trying to hammer two different concepts
into one system  Not only is that very non-unixy, it also seems this
is a very lilypond-specific adaptation of the build system, which makes
me suspicious.

Greetings,
Jan.

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar®  http://AvatarAcademy.nl