Re: Makes parameters for hairpin rotation available in Scheme (issue4809

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Makes parameters for hairpin rotation available in Scheme (issue4809051)
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 18:39:19 +0000 (UTC)

 <mike <at> apollinemike.com> writes:

> On Jul 24, 2011, at 11:29 PM, Neil Puttock wrote:
>
> > On 23 July 2011 15:48,  <mtsolo <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> In the
> >> example given in Issue 36, I would personally rotate the stencil
> >> downwards, and this patch would give me all the data necessary
> >> to create an override for Beam #'rotation.
> >
> > This is too specific to hairpins.  Most grobs collide with beams when
> > they're cross-staff, so a more generic solution is required.
> >

> We may want to just fix issue 36 via something in the docs-

The place to put any docs is
<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/common-notation-for-
keyboards#index-collisions_002c-cross_002dstaff-voices>
The first suggestion there is to adjust beam positions, with a link to the
section on resolving collisions.  The second example moves a hairpin down,
in a way that causes the staves to spread so that the moved hairpin doesn't
run into anything else.

I do see why you focused on hairpins, because that the most common colliding
glyph where the collision is unwanted, and the specific problem in issue 36.

Bugs where we don't know the desired behavior are impossible to fix.
Maybe post the \override Beam #'rotation that the patch would enable,
to give people some idea of our options.