Re: auto numbering footnote checkin doesn't play with \null and \musicgl

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: auto numbering footnote checkin doesn't play with \null and \musicglyph
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 12:29:07 +0200

On Jul 29, 2011, at 11:24 AM, James Lowe wrote:

> Mike,

Weird? It is beautiful!

> I didn't get any error from LP when I compiled it, so the user is not going
> to get any knowledge that something is not right. They are just going to get
> their music covered with numbers in all the margins and any markups that
> contain glyphs will not come out (even though they have been explicitly
> marked).

I'll post a patch with an error message.

> While documentation does help users do the right thing, we should be
> reporting in the compilation message that something is wrong when they make
> the file, I just don't know what can and cannot be used without the \paper {
> } layout block now. All that this ##f option does as far as I can tell is
> that it restarts the autonumbering again on the next page.

I have added a convert-ly rule letting users know that this will happen in case
they've used footnotes in 2.14.

> Also, it seems there are now 3 commands
>
> \footnote
>
> \footnoteGrob
>
> and now \autofootnoteGrob
>
> but is there \autofootnote too?
>
> and are you saying the \auto* is mutually exclusive from the other type and
> if we only have \autofootnoteGrob, what happens (as this example shows) if I
> want to use \autofootnoteGrob and \footnote you can't?
>
> I don't think just telling a user to use this in the \paper { } block is good
> enough compared to what we have.

I will write up a long e-mail either this weekend or tonight with reports on
how automatic numbering works and send it to devel.  But you're right above -
there is no \autofootnote command.  And, for now, if you add \paper {
footnote-auto-numbering = ##f } to all of your examples, they should look
exactly like they did before.

Cheers,
MS