RE: auto numbering footnote checkin doesn't play with \null and \musicgl

From: James Lowe
Subject: RE: auto numbering footnote checkin doesn't play with \null and \musicglyph
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 11:28:37 +0000

Mike,

)-----Original Message-----
)From: address@hidden [mailto:address@hidden
)Sent: 29 July 2011 11:29
)To: James Lowe
)Cc: lilypond-devel (address@hidden)
)Subject: Re: auto numbering footnote checkin doesn't play with \null and
)\musicglyph
)> )From: address@hidden [mailto:address@hidden
)> )Sent: 29 July 2011 08:23
)> )To: James Lowe
)> )Cc: lilypond-devel (address@hidden)
)> )Subject: Re: auto numbering footnote checkin doesn't play with \null
)> and )\musicglyph
)> )
)> )On Jul 28, 2011, at 11:46 PM, James Lowe wrote:
)> )
)> )> Mike,
)> )>
)> )> I *think* your recent checkin did something to your original
)> )\footnote[Grob] code because taking a snippet from my example in my
)> )in-progress doc patch )> )> \version "2.15.6"
)> )>
)> )> #(set-default-paper-size "a6")
)> )>
)> )> \book {
)> )>  \relative c' {
)> )>   c1
)> )>    \breathe
)> )>    \footnoteGrob #'BreathingSign #'(1 . 1)
)> )>    \markup { \musicglyph #"rests.4" }
)> )>    \markup { \null }
)> )>  }
)> )> }
)> )>
)> )> Worked fine.
)> )>
)> )> Now it prints the numeral '1' all over the place actually. If you
)> change )\null to " ", then it goes away but I get a number with no
)> footnote. It also )seems to ignore the glyph used in a markup.
)> )>
)> )> My original intention in my doc patch was to show how to have a
)> )'footnoteGrob markup without a footnote (and also show how you can
)> )add space between the copyright and the last footnote), Neil
)> suggested I )use \null instead of " " which did the same thing, until now.
)> )>
)> )> regards
)> )>
)> )
)> )James,
)> )
)> )You need to set footnote-auto-numbering = ##f in the paper block in
)> all )your old examples.
)> )
)> )Cheers,
)> )MS
)>
)> err.. did you look at the 'weird' pdf example?
)>
)
)Weird? It is beautiful!
)
)> I didn't get any error from LP when I compiled it, so the user is not going
)to get any knowledge that something is not right. They are just going to
)get their music covered with numbers in all the margins and any markups
)that contain glyphs will not come out (even though they have been
)explicitly marked).
)>
)
)I'll post a patch with an error message.
)
)> While documentation does help users do the right thing, we should be
)reporting in the compilation message that something is wrong when they
)make the file, I just don't know what can and cannot be used without the
)\paper { } layout block now. All that this ##f option does as far as I can tell
)is that it restarts the autonumbering again on the next page.
)
)I have added a convert-ly rule letting users know that this will happen in
)case they've used footnotes in 2.14.
)
)>
)> Also, it seems there are now 3 commands
)>
)> \footnote
)>
)> \footnoteGrob
)>
)> and now \autofootnoteGrob
)>
)> but is there \autofootnote too?
)>
)> and are you saying the \auto* is mutually exclusive from the other type
)and if we only have \autofootnoteGrob, what happens (as this example
)shows) if I want to use \autofootnoteGrob and \footnote you can't?
)>
)> I don't think just telling a user to use this in the \paper { } block is good
)enough compared to what we have.
)>
)
)I will write up a long e-mail either this weekend or tonight with reports on
)how automatic numbering works and send it to devel.  But you're right
)above - there is no \autofootnote command.  And, for now, if you add
)\paper { footnote-auto-numbering = ##f } to all of your examples, they
)should look exactly like they did before.
)

OK no problems. I'll steam ahead with my original doc patch then. It doesn't
break anything (because it doesn't mention the new command) and when you do get
round to the patch and explanation I'll amend the doc.

That way we at least get something in the doc than nothing at all.

James