Re: Regression tests don't run

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Regression tests don't run
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 22:10:18 +0100

> On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 11:03:43AM -0700, Aleksandr Andreev wrote:
>> Aha. Some Googling reveals that:
>>
>> Exit code 137: The job was killed because it exceeded the time limit.
>
> Don't top-post.
>
>> Any ideas how to up the time limit?
>
> Unless you have an incredibly under-powered computer (say, 10
> years old or more), don't increase the time limit.  If any regtest
> hits that boundary, it's a critical bug that needs fixing.  Try to
> figure out which regtest is doing this.

Exit code 137 usually corresponds to signal 9.  On Posix systems, that
is

        SIGKILL    9         Term     Kill signal

which more or less means that the process was killed by having another
process explicitly kill it.

It can happen as a consequence of having a CPU time limit (and the hard
limit not being larger than the soft limit), see the manual page for
ulimit:

        RLIMIT_CPU
                CPU time  limit in  seconds.  When the  process reaches
                the  soft limit,  it  is sent  a  SIGXCPU signal.   The
                default  action for  this  signal is  to terminate  the
                process.  However,  the signal  can be caught,  and the
                handler can return control to the main program.  If the
                process continues to consume CPU  time, it will be sent
                SIGXCPU  once  per  second  until  the  hard  limit  is
                reached,  at  which time  it  is  sent SIGKILL.   (This
                latter point describes Linux  2.2 through 2.6 behavior.
                Implementations vary in how  they treat processes which
                continue to  consume CPU  time after reaching  the soft
                limit.  Portable  applications that need to  catch this
                signal should perform an orderly termination upon first
                receipt of SIGXCPU.)

But I don't consider this all too likely.

What output do you get if you say

ulimit -a

on your command line?