Re: Unbound variable GUILE error when no whitespace before closing brace

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Unbound variable GUILE error when no whitespace before closing brace
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 16:38:11 +0100

On 15/02/2012 15:30, David Kastrup wrote:
> Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Actually, LilyPond's parser decides which chars are part of the scheme
>> expression and which are part of lilypond's syntax.
> No, it doesn't.  It fires up the Scheme reader at the current position
> in the input, and picks up again wherever the Scheme reader leaves the
> input position.

Yes, but it's our parsers decision to give the scheme reader everything
it might want, even if that means chunking away from the lilypond code...

A scheme expression is embedded into lilypond syntax, so why can the
embedded expression decide where it ends, rather than the surrounding
LilyPond syntax?

This leads to situations like:
relative c'' {
  {\override NoteHead #'X-offset = #(+ 1 2)} c % works
  {\override NoteHead #'X-offset = #3} c       % doesn't work
}

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886