Re: Gets vertical skylines from grob stencils (issue 5626052)

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Gets vertical skylines from grob stencils (issue 5626052)
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 10:35:48 +0100

Hey all,

The newest patch set implements several of Joe's suggestions but takes a time
hit because I am using the fancy skylines for Scripts.  This makes
script-accidental-collision.ly look better (as well as a few other regtests)
but it slows things down even more.

I think that the coding is sound, though, and it is as fast as possible given
what I know how to do.  I could maybe eliminate one or two loops here or there
(i.e. transforming buildings to points and back to buildings for the skyline
constructor that accepts skyline pairs) but this seems like chump change. Each
successive slow down comes from the skylining of a new grob, which is linear
(there's tons of scripts, so tons of subtleties in the skylines).  Of course,
any speed-up suggestions are welcome.

I know that people have suggested being pickier about what grobs have tight
skylines, but I want to include a rather large range, as with each new grob the
regtests look better and better.

Janek - all of the problems you pointed out before should be fixed in this
newest patch set - thank you very much for spotting them.

Cheers,
MS