Re: regular patchy staging

From: James
Subject: Re: regular patchy staging
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 08:16:51 +0000

Hello,

2012/3/2 Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>:
> On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 12:01 AM, Graham Percival
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Any advance on having a regular patchy staging compile?  like,
>> every 6 hours or something?
>
> Currently it's David who is running Patchy (i am amazed by his
> involvement), and he lacks processing power to do this more often.
> I think Patchy could be improved a bit to be more user-friendly
> (that's just my personal opinion), thus allowing James (for example)
> to run it more easily.  I want to get back to work on Patchy, but i'm
> totally buried under GSoC and other things; i cannot magically
> multiply my time despite my sincere wishes to the contrary :(

I am back from my break (and the internet connection is much better if
still not great - tops out at 300kb/s which is ok) and have been going
through the emails that had come in the last week or so, I'm just
about caught up and have done a few doc tracker items to boot, and
have been trying to get patchy working following the instructions in
the CG - they are still a bit vague but we can build on that.

I'd saw that David and Graham and (i think) Phil and Janek (?) had
been running patchy so figured it was now covered and had been trying
to broaden my knowledge elsewhere (for example working out how to
update LilyDev - I see a few requests in that area), but if there is
still a need for me to run patchy - if only to take the load off -
I'll refocus on that.

I still have some fundamental questions about the scripts.

Patchy actually seems to be two things not one and I am still unclear
on this aspect. There is a 'script' that checks Patch-new against
current master and there is a 'script' that merges staging with
master. Is it required (desired) to run both aspects for me or should
I just be doing one of them? It isn't clear from the files I download
which does what and which I don't need if I only want to do one or the
other.

I am working this weekend but will have some free time in the evening.

James