Re: LoMuS

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: LoMuS
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 15:01:07 +0200

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Graham Percival
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 10:01:27AM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
>> On 28 avr. 2012, at 09:15, Graham Percival wrote:
>>
>> > So... you *don't* want to set a precedent; you just want a quick
>> > answer about this specific case?  I guess the general consensus is
>> > "go ahead and we'll figure it out later".
>> >

>> I *do* want this to work so well that it sets a solid precedent,
>
> If this is going to set a precedent, then I will say "Do not
> submit LilyPond to LoMuS".  I'm willing to go along with the
> current consensus only if there is the understanding that it does
> *not* set a precedent.

I don't want to start a thorough discussion about our policies - these
are just my ad-hoc feelings:
- we don't touch anything that requires legal/formal bodies (GSoC was
fine because it accepted individuals)
- if someone does the work and wins some kind of contest/grant, the
money is his and he can do with it anything he wants (for example pay
some developer privately to handle some Lily issue).

>> I get the sense in a way that the precedent has already been set - if
>> someone sees a cool opportunity (GSoC, LoMuS, whatever), email the list to
>> call dibs if dibs must be called, make sure no one is opposed, apply, and do
>> something fair with the money if money is to be gotten.  In the GSoC case,
>> Janek has $500 that he'll be donating to the organization in whatever way he
>> sees fit.
>
> That is not what happened.  Google is paying Janek $4500 directly.
> Carl is getting $500 for the project, which I guess he will spend
> how he sees fit.

Huh?  I get $5000 (of which i'll spend quite a lot on Lily
development, either directly or indirectly), and John Marchesi, GNU
admin, gets $500 and gives it to whomever he decides - in our case
most probably FSF.

cheers,
Janek