Re: More recent Python version

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: More recent Python version
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 19:42:39 +1000

Hi Phil,

Many benefits. I just rewrote my recent flatten-ly tool in Python, more as an
exercise than anything else. (Thinking vaguely that some people may find it
more maintainable than Scheme. A foolish notion!). I used Python 2.7, oblivious
of the fact that lilypond requires 2.4.5. So many things that one takes for
granted in 2.7 are missing in 2.4.5 that I abandoned any notion of publishing a
Python version, as I am not prepared to go back to a much less functional
Python and rewrite half the program.

2.4.5 is very old now, and as with any system, there have been enormous strides
forward in terms of bug fixes and improvements. Python 3 is also out, of
course, and this is yet better, although the 2 series still has a strong
following.

While accepting the dictum that if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, this also has
to be balanced with the idea that it eventually becomes necessary to trade in
your car for a new one before it falls to bits. Since lilypond is under active
development, apart from the issue of lack of human resources, it seems to make
sense to me to have its componentry on an upgrade path as well.

Python 2.4.5 was released in 2008. That is now a considerably long time ago. I
don’t think users would be happy to continue with a 2008 release of lilypond,
by way of analogy.

Moving to Python 3 would be good. As wikipedia says:

Python 3.0 (also called "Python 3000" or "Py3K") was designed to rectify
 certain fundamental design flaws in the language (the changes required
could not be implemented while retaining full backwards compatibility
with the 2.x series, which necessitated a new major version number). The
 guiding principle of Python 3 was: "reduce feature duplication by
removing old ways of doing things”.

Upgrading to a contemporary Python would. I think, also encourage more users to
develop scripts and tools and so on.

Andrew